Reproduction in cells.
Page, Next Page
I. Overview of cell
- Distinguish between the functions of mitosis and meiosis
- Define somatic cells vs germ cells See p 128
- Define chromosome, chromatid, centromere. 8.1. Basic chromosome terminology
page from my site.
- Distinguish between duplicated and unduplicated chromosomes.
- Explain the difference between duplicated and unduplicated chromosomes
in terms of the amount of DNA in each.
- Explain the distinction between sister chromatids and an unduplicated
II. Mitosis and cytoplasmic
III. Meiosis - Overview
- Explain the steps of the eukaryote cell cycle including mitosis with respect
to what happens to the chromosomes.
- Explain what happens to the chromosomes in the G1, S and G2 parts of interphase.
- Explain when DNA replication takes place.
- List and recognise the phases of mitosis.
- Explain how the arrangement, type and number of chromosomes changes during
the phases of mitosis
- Compare plant cells and animal cells with respect to cytoplasmic division(cytokinesis).
- Given diagrams of mitosis be able to identify the phase and tell how many
chromsomes and of what type are in the cell.
Those in lab might enjoy my pictures
and discussion of mitosis in onion roots.
- Define asexual vs sexual reproduction
- Explain the advantages of sexual and asexual reproduction
- Define the following
terms important for understanding meiosis
- Homologous Chromosomes. See figure 8.12
- Sister Chromatids
- Compare mitosis and meiosis in terms of the number of stages.
IV Meiosis -details
- Describe the steps of meiosis with respect to the chromosomes in the "parent"
cell. See figure 8.15
- Compare what happens to the chromosomes in prophase of mitosis and prophase
I of meiosis.
- Explain "crossing over" and its importance to sexual reproduction.
- Compare metaphase of mitosis with metaphase I in meiosis.
- Compare mitosis with meiosis II
- Demonstrate that you can recognise and describe what happens in each phase
VI. Comparison of mitosis and meiosis:
V. Meiosis and gamete formation in plants vs animals.
- Explain the distinction between mitosis and meiosis with respect to
- the type of cells produced
- chromosome number in the cells
- the use of cells produced by each process.
- List and explain the three ways meiosis leads to genetic variation. pp 133-134
VII Explain how the following chromosomally based disorders happen and the
symptoms assocated with each pp 134 - 137
- Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21)
- Abnormalities in sex chromosome number:
- XYY males
- Turner's syndrome
- Define non disjunction
VII Define polyploidy and explain how new species might arise because of problems
with meiosis. See p 137-138
Tip! Make flash cards showing the stages of mitosis and meiosis and use them
to learn the phases and explain what happensd during each phase!
pgd 10/05/02 revised 10/15/04